I am sure you have already heard about “Keto Diet“ before 😉 This trendy lifestyle popular for its weight lose promise and its many health benefits.
The Keto diet was used originally in children with epilepsy to reduce seizures; it was developed in the 1920s. This diet first demonstrated anticonvulsants effects in epilepsy. Then, the keto diet has gained popularity in recent years as a quick method for losing weight. It is also used to improve symptoms of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
Disclaimer : This post may include affiliate links!
What is Ketogenic Diet (called Keto Diet)?
Definition from Wikipedia “The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fueling brain function.”
In a simple way, it’s a very low-carb, high fat diet that provide many benefits for your health.
Watch this video Youtube to lear more about Keto Diet for Beginners
Benefits of Ketogenic Diet
- Keto diet may reduce risk of Cancer, Alzheimer and Diabetes: this diet provide many metabolic and neurological healthy benefits. It can improve your cholesterol level, blood pressure and blood sugar. For detailed information check this source or This
Beyond weight loss, the ketogenic diet is used in the treatment of various pathologies: epilepsy, cancers, inflammatory diseases, etc. This is why it was created at the start in the 1920s. In the therapeutic world, the value of ketogenic food is no longer to be proven.
- Support weight loss in short term
- May reduce appetit
- May reduce blood pressure
- Protect brain function
When you start a Ketogenic Diet, you need to limit all sources of high carbs like candies, soda and all sugary food, Alcohol, Unhealthy fats like mayonnaise or vegetable oils, Root vegetables like Potato and Carrot. Just make sure your food is high fat and low carb.
What to eat on a Ketogenic Diet?
- Seafood : (Fatty fish) rich Omega 3 fats, vitamin B, Potassium and selenium like Salmon, Sardine, trout, Tuna
- Eggs: Eggs contain less than 1 gram of carbs, but it can keep you full for hours. They are also high in several nutrients and may help protect eye and heart health.
- Green Veggies that are low-carb such as Tomato, Peppers Broccoli and onion. Vegetables contain a lot of vitamins, minerals and Fiber.
- Cheese: Cheese is rich in protein, calcium and beneficial fatty acids contains high level of saturated fat, some studies suggest that cheese may help protect against heart disease. All type of cheese are benefit for Keto Diet as they are very low in carb and high in fat. So enjoy 😉
- Meat : not processed meats are keto-friendly and low carb, grass-fed meat might be even healthier. For this diet remember you need only few grams of meat per day, as it is rich in protein and this is not benefic for Keto Diet Sausages, cold cuts, meatballs and all processed meats are keto friendly as they often contain added carbs.
- Olive oil: High in antioxidant, hear-health protector Olive oil contain ZERO carb. I am definitely olive oil lover I use it for all my meals
- Nuts and seeds : almond, pecans, macadamia, cashews, chia seeds, walnuts, sesame seeds They are all high fat, high in fiber and low-carb
Example of complete Keto Diet Menu
Make an omelet with 2 eggs and ½ cup of spinach and mushrooms
Roast beef (150 g)
Lettuces (100g) and 50g of grated red cabbage
5 Black Olives
Vinaigrette (2 to 3 tablespoon)
¼ cup of almond
200 g of Salmon
100g of asparagus
50g of Lettuces
Vinaigrette (1 to 2 tablespoon)